Monday, January 16, 2012

Rosie and Gabriella's story

Feb 2009, I was feeling really sick, morning sickness, night sickness and really bad sinus colds, bad headaches. I was like, what is going on I cannot be pregnant. My best friend said...ahhhh...I think your pregnant. I was scared to think because I had a little baby at home. I was breastfeeding constantly. So I went to the doctor, took a test and my doctor said, congratulations!! I was happy but I had a 8 month at home. So I went to my first ultrasound by myself. The tech was taking a long time, I was getting worried he wasnt saying anything and it only showed one baby. So he goes..oh wait I think something is wrong with my machine, ok so waiting.....he goes let me check top view of the head and then he goes ahh so do you see what I see, I looked I see two heads side by side in the same position....I was like, hmmmm whats that, he goes you are having twins but I dont see a memebrane but didnt say anything else. I was sooo shocked I was speechless. I didnt know much about twins and how many different types their are. So I went to pick up my son, told my mother in law, starting bawling and shacking. I was so scared and happy. She couldnt believe it. Now I have to say before I did my ultrasound my husband goes to me,wouldnt be funny if we had twins. I said ya right. So when I called my husband, first he didnt believe me but he was so happy.

I had my first Ob appt she looks at the ultrasound and goes this not right this is rare for it not to have a membrane. You have to go do two more ultrasound to make sure at a highrisk clinic. So she goes if there is no membrane they are monoamniotic. She said very high risk and that was that. I was so scared I remembered what she said I cried and called my husband. I went home right away on computer, totally freaked out and cried again. I went to the second ultrasound, she told me they are girls and no membrane. They have to make sure three different times to give you that diagnoses. She said sometimes its very hard to see it. Went back to my Ob, she transfers me a high risk doctor, downtown Toronto. I was happy about its one of the best hospitals. 

I went to my first appt, did an ultrasound it took forever. This time I had my husband. Finished the ultrasound then waited for the doctor to come in to tell us. I will never never forget that day. She comes in, sits down and goes their is no membrane which means they are sharing the same sac and placenta, skin to skin contact. There is 50% chance that one or neither will survive. We both cried. The best scenario is be inpatient from 24 or when you choose to be and be monitored how much you like with ultrasounds and non-stress tests. She said go home and think about and we will see you in a couple of weeks for another ultrasound. I cried so much that day and I had to take care of another child at home. We decided to go in patient at 25 weeks, meanwhile went to my appointments. Went to my appointments everything was going well, but then they did see the cords entangled with one knot the blood flow was good. I went home. 

I had a distraction, I was planning my sons first birthday, it was June 6 2009.  I was happy I got to celebrate his birthday I was worried that I was going to miss it. I was packing my bags, buying books and pj and some other stuff. I remember that day, June 30, 2009. I took my bags, dropped off my son, very hard to do. My husband and I went to the appointment, they did another check, and noticed that on top of it all I had a short cervix and now it causes me to have preterm labour,great!  I was so scared and I cried again. So I was admitted I got a semi-private room...I cried and cried. My husband went to get dinner and the nurse gave me my first round of steroids for the babies lungs. I had a neighbour and she was having triplets and she was 34 weeks, the next day she delivered. I  moved to her spot which was better. I had the window with alot more room and never moved from that spot. I had different people come and go. The next day I got my second round of steroid.They asked me what how many checks I would like so after discussing it with my Doctor we came up with 4x daily heart rate checks with once a day nst tests with weekly ultrasounds and If I felt that something is not right to call asap or if I wanted another heartrate check I was to call. My first of many Doctor, and med students doing there rounds checking how things were going, they said we hope to see you here for a long time and uneventful. I said ME TOO!! I cried. I think I cried every single day. I also missed my son so much, it was very hard. I never left my son ever. I hated that I was missing the things he was doing. I had a great system for him and what we did everyday. My mother in law stayed two days with him and my mom two days and then my husband took every Friday off to care of him. 

They told me I could walk around, so I go to my first ultrasound in the hospital. She said everything looks good, she did an enternal check and she said you have a short cervix(which I already knew) you have to be on bed rest only to the washroom no walking around. Oh great. I was wheeled back to my room. I was wheeled everywhere. When my husband came to visit he would wheel me around the floor. When he brought my son that made my day.My husband brought me shopping bags of groceries, he would take my order, he would take my clothes and wash them and bring back the clean ones. The doctors and nurses would laugh to see how much food and snacks I had. I had it all over the window seal, in my nightstands. I had 4x daily heartrate checks. I was always nervous doing those, sometimes we couldn't find one heart rate, she (Rosie) was moving around like crazy. That made me scared all the time but the nurse would always reassure me that this would happen because they move around alot but then we found it and had a good check. I could of done it myself.  My friend gave me her laptop to go on the internet and watch movies, well I couldn't get on certain sites the hospital blocked them. I was bored at times because I couldn't get up and walk around. I had friends come to visit, my mom would come and she would bring my son as well.  All I did was eat, order food and eat hospital food. In the hospital if you stay longer than two weeks they give you a menu so you get to pick what you would like for the day and snacks as well.I had books that I read so fast and wordsearches. The best visit I had was cousins that I haven't seen in a long time who brought my grandmother who was visiting from Italy, who I haven't seen since I was 12, I was 27 at that time. What  a visit! I was bumed that I missed a few weddings, especially my brothers and I was supposed to be the matron of honour. That was a tough phone call. I was also suppose to be a bridemaid in one of my good friends wedding. So sad. But I was happy that she came and visited and showed me her pictures and honeymoon. Sometimes you have to miss important things but I was happy that I did the hospital stay. I learned alot and opened to a whole new world. I would have not done it any other way.

I had my weekly ultrasound, everything was good. My goal was a good size for the babies. I knew I could have a big baby size, my son was born 8.1lbs, so I was hoping for a good size.  I was happy and so were the doctors with the progress. I had the best nurses as well.  Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto, Canada was awesome. It was August 10/09, my Ob walks in and was so happy to see me and  my progress and how well the girls were doing. She tells me ok its time, I booked the c-section for August 13 so don't eat the night before. I was happy this part is going to come to end and was going to meet our girls. August 13 comes, my Ob comes tells me you better eat I cant deliver you today, the  NICU is full. I can not let you wait long, I want to deliver you. She goes and tells me all the other hospitals the NICU were closed as well, we might have to transfer you to Buffalo, or Chicago. I said no way! I am not waiting any longer, I was getting really nervous my husband was so mad. My Ob pulled through, she called up her friend who knows about my situation and pulled strings the only thing was I had to discharge myself and get myself over to the hospital across from where I was. She said he will deliver you next day. My husband got a wheelchair and discharged me and took me over to the other hospital.  I get into my room, this time I was in a ward. Fine. So we meet with the Doctor we talk with him and we say what time tomorrow, he tells us I cant deliver you tomorrow I am booked with c-sections. Boy,let me tell you my husband was mad and so was I.  I was getting nervous each day that passed. He told the doctor this is the reason why we came here, my wife is worried and scared its not safe to wait! she needs to be delivered. Ok lets see what day I can do it. He comes back August 17 I will let you know what time.

August 17/09, I had fast all day, i was starving. I was told it was going to be in the afternoon, there was an emergency c-section that had to be done, I wasn't considered an emergency. They finally take me in,  this was the first time I was in a operating room, I was scared,cold and shaking didn't know what to expect. Got the spinal block, my husband came in and I was feeling sick but trying to relax. 730pm Rosie comes out then Gabriella. My husband tells me they look like me. When I knew they were out that felt awesome and relieved. My husband told me he would never forget the expression on my face when they were born. They had four Knots. Rosie weighing 3.16lbs and Gabriella 4.6lbs. I was happy with their weight. The nurse tells me they will be in here for a week and then transferred to a hospital near my house. I was happy to hear that. They had cpap and were intubated for a day, Rosie needed the lights, a little jaunduce but was fine after one session. Two or three days later(cant remember) I was discharged. I was happy that I get to leave the hospital after all that but soo sad leaving them there, very hard. I went everyday and pumped every three hours, taking care of my 14 month old son as well. If I wasn't there I called to check on them. Then we get the call they will be transferred to the hospital near your home for feed and grow they will be there at night. We were so happy to go and see them. They had there own little room and I gave them breast milk everytime I would go. The whole time they were in there, they had breastmilk. I tried to breastfeed but they didn't get the latch part, but as long as they took the bottle for a whole day and pass the car seat test they would come home but after I stay there for a night and take care of them and if I needed help I had the nurses there. Everything went well and we took them home after 7 weeks total in the hospital. They both came home together which I liked. They came home two weeks before their actual due date.
 
 

Now they are happy and healthly little girls, were a little behind but caught up and are typical 2 1/2 year olds, talking away making us laugh everyday with what they do. Now I must say a year and half ago Gabriella was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy in her legs, she crawls, and gets around. She does walk with assistance but she is always smiling and being silly she is one happy little girl.This is not who is she, it will not define her. I love my kids and looking forward watching them grow. Everything happens for a reason. I look at them and see where they are now and what we went through to get here, amazes  me every single day.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading your story - as a side note. My daughter has CP and just had SDR at St Louis children's hospital. Its a life changing surgery. If you haven't heard about it have a look and join the Facebook group. I didn't actually come on here to mention this, my SIL has mono twins. Only 10 weeks along so its very exciting!

    ReplyDelete